This stew could not be simpler and definitely hits the spot on dreary days like this one. Just a few easy steps and you have the perfect Meat Free Monday meal that is sure to satisfy the whole family.
1 400g can (or a cup and a half) chopped tomatoes
1 heaped tsp tomato puree
1 400g can chickpeas
2 large garlic cloves
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp chilli powder
Generous shake of dried chilli flakes
1 tsp sugar
Pink Himalayan salt and ground black pepper
1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
1. Heat a little oil in a heavy based saucepan. Finely chop the onion, add to pan, season with salt and pepper and cover. Leave to sweat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Mince the garlic and add to pan. Allow to cook for several minutes.
3. Wash and cut the eggplant into small pieces. Add to pan and stir to incorporate the onion and garlic. Season and cover.
4. Wash and slice the zucchini/courgette. Add to pan, mix thoroughly, cover and leave to soften gently for a few minutes.
5. Add the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, chilli powder and chilli flakes. Give a thorough stir and clamp on lid for a minute or two before adding the tomato paste and chopped tomatoes. Stir. Sprinkle in the sugar, season and leave to simmer for twenty minutes until everything is soft but not mushy.
6. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to the pot for a final ten minutes.
Serve with bulgar wheat, cous cous or rice.